Thoughts, ramblings, experiences and joys of an Alaska girl. Home is where the heart is, and my heart is firmly rooted in the Great Land of Alaska.

Friday, July 6, 2007

Bird to Gird... have wine and cheese, will bike

Alex and I are biking tonight. We are biking from Bird Ridge to Girdwood. The trip is about 8 miles, one way. The path is vehicle free, and parallels the Seward Highway along Turnagain Arm, one of my favorite areas in Alaska. Part of the trail is actually on the old Seward Highway. The views along the way are breathtaking.

Alex has packed our camelbak with wine and water, cheese and crackers, has put the bikes on the rack and is picking me up after work. We are biking with new friends we met through MEETup, and an old friend we recently got reacquainted with. It's promised to be a leisurely ride, with a group wine and cheese break along the way. With the promise of a slow pace, wine, cheese and a long KID FREE evening that may include a post-ride dip in the hot tub, how can I NOT go?

I'm no biker. Never have been, don't know that I ever will be. Alex, on the other hand, is a biking fella. He loves to bike. When he said he was going to do this trip, I didn't think I would be included in the plans. For Alex, biking isn't a leisurely sport, it's a quest for the finish as quickly as possible. Hopefully, this bike ride won't be like a training session for the Fireweed 400! I am looking forward to the views, if not the actual ride. The weather is beautiful outside. The skies cleared this afternoon and the temperature is wonderful.

I'm praying I figure out how to use the gears on my bike. The last time I tried to go up a hill, I ended up having to jump off the bike before I rolled backwards down the hill I'd just ascended. It was a mess. I did, however, get padded bike pants not too long ago (those things are expensive), so at least my hiney won't be as achy as it was the last ride we took. I'm totally out of shape, so this will be very humbling. Maybe it will inspire me to get serious about getting in shape. Maybe it will inspire me to sell my bike. One way or the other, it will be inspiring.

No comments: