Thoughts, ramblings, experiences and joys of an Alaska girl. Home is where the heart is, and my heart is firmly rooted in the Great Land of Alaska.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Girls Just Want to Have Fun!

I have been living life, and enjoying my winter, even if I haven't written about it. Now that spring is near, the time of rebirth and moving on from winter, cold, and darkness, I find myself wanting to write again.

Winter is on it's way out, whether Jack Frost is willing to let it go quietly is another story. Last Friday, we had about 16 inches of snow fall in Eagle River. Jack is weaving his way across our April pulling pranks about once a week. Week before last, we had 8 inches, the snow melted (Mother Nature is trying to give us a spring to enjoy, Jack just isn't cooperating!), then Jack came a dancin' through the skies once more and bringing the crystaline flakes with him. I swear I heard his laughter outside my window last Friday.

Before the Jack Frost/Mother Nature power play began, I went to Big Lake with a few girlfriends for a much needed girl's weekend in early March. A friend's family has a cabin on Flat Lake, so 6 of us headed out for a man free, kid free, responsibility free weekend. We drove across a wide expanse of frozen lake (Big Lake) to Flat Lake where the cabin was located. I have to admit to being a little leary at first of driving across frozen water in a heavy vehicle, but my friend assured me that the ice was thick enough to handle the weight, even if it was crystal clear and I swore at times I saw fish swimming below us. When the gang go there, we sledded, we snow machined, we played games and laughed, drank our share of wine and Framboise, and enjoyed 3 days of nothing. It was wonderful. It was exactly what I needed. Nothing like a good game of Apples to Apples to find out what your friends are made of, what they are thinking, and what (or whom) they have tied up in their basement!
I have more updating to do, including neighborhood moose sightings, Fur Rondezvous pics and stories, and wedding updates.
I didn't realize it was so late! With the sun staying in the sky later and later, my time perception is already screwy. I (once again) don't feel I made the best use of my winter time, so I need to make sure I get my spring/summer/fall plans set in stone so I don't end up wasting these prolonged days of sweet sunshine!
Early to rise, late to bed... sleeping is for winter.

2 comments:

Jamie Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Live From Alaska said...

Jamie, thanks for taking the time to comment. Personally, I would drive up in August. I came in August 2 years ago. I missed the tourists, I missed the migrating animals, and most importantly I missed the mosquitos (that masquarade as small bombers here). I would look for housing in the places with the most homes, Anchorage. Plus, living in Anchorage, you'll be more likely to find a job. What kind of place, size of place are you looking for. I kind of have my finger on the pulse of the housing market here. I work for Alaska Housing, actually. So, I may be able to point you in the right direction. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing and if you are still planning on coming. Oh,, I moved here from Virginia Beach, Virginia myself, so I could tell you the way I drove also. I took the ferry too, which was a wonderful experience. Don't forget to get your passports! You'll need them to make the trip.