Thoughts, ramblings, experiences and joys of an Alaska girl. Home is where the heart is, and my heart is firmly rooted in the Great Land of Alaska.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Yup, still the worst

Yup, it's official, still the worst blogger in history. If they gave awards for neglectful bloggers, I'd get one.

On a more positive note... the red currants are ready to be harvested! Took a walk through the woods at the north entrance to Eagle River and the red jewelled wonders were everywhere! Planning on going this week, sometime after the rain stops. It was glorious on Friday, then Saturday came, and the heavens opened. I'll also be heading to Girdwood this weekend to see what I can anticipate as far as the harvest for berries there goes.

Reading an amazing book now called A Sense of the World about James Holman, a man who lived from 1786-1857. He was completely blind, but managed to do more in his life than I probably (no, not even probably. It should read: definitely) ever will. He circumnavigated the globe, charted the Australian outback, fought the slave trade in Africa, survived captivity in Siberia, hunted elephants in Ceylon, and did many other amazing things that few sighted adventurers could hope or dream to accomplish. It is definitely a humbling book, and makes me feel just a tad guilty for not accomplishing more with my life. I feel guilty enough to take my cable box back to the cable company, which we are doing tonight. Need to do a lot less watching, and a lot more living!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Just wanted to point out that Alaska is not the largest state in the union...

I enjoy your blog and appreciate that I am not alone in my neglect of blogging :)

Anonymous said...

That awkward moment when Alaska IS the largest state in the Union. About twice as large as Texas, as far as square miles go...